Sunday 5 May 2013

One of the best inventions known to man.



The kitchen in this house we are house sitting is really nice to work in. I think it is a fairly new addition to the house, and everything is at your fingertips. There is a huge pantry and lots of cupboards, and a gas hob for cooking, which is really nice to cook on.

 

 
Today was ‘clean the oven’ day. She has a wall oven, a Bosch. It’s fan forced, so fairly quick with the baking too.  I don’t do a lot of cake baking, although I have made a few things lately, and do a lot of dry baked vegetables for meals. I bought myself a new recipe book, for writing up my own recipes, so got a bit inspired.

Anyway, cleaning the oven led to other stuff, and I was marvelling at the steel wool pads with soap in them, and how wonderful they are at cleaning stainless steel etc. I know we have had them for years in our shops, and I find that they are one of the most useful things in the kitchen.

The thing that tickles me though, is that I am sure they are made in China…I have now thrown out the packet….everything is made in China, but I have looked in every supermarket I entered in China and could never find them. Even the pads with no soap are not available there.

The poor Chinese housewives have no idea what they are missing out on.

1 comment:

  1. Reminds me of the poor man who cleaned the cover over my stove in an apartment in a Chinese college. It was dense with grease and one of the items on my list of, "I'm going home unless a, b, c ...z" was done pronto upon my arrival. I left for class and saw him squatting outside beside a tap, of course a cold water one. The only cleaning aids he had were a toothbrush and a bowl. When I returned the cover had been replaced and while not pristine was superior to anything I could have produced with tons of detergents and abrasive cleaners.

    ReplyDelete