Saturday 10 November 2012

LIfe death and in-between. 3. In-between.

Well, you know the saying, death warmed, up....thats the in-between. And that is me. I have been sick for a week, feeling lousy.

I woke up just over a week ago with a fever, headache, feeling exhausted and generally feeling terrible.  Two days later Peter took me to the doctor. The doctor saw me waiting outside his room, and alarmed, asked if I needed to wait in the emergency room til he could see me. I said I would be okay.

He called me in a couple of minutes later and Peter explained what was wrong. He took my temperature, I have no idea what it was, looked in my throat and said I had an inflamed throat, here are some antibiotics, come back in two days if I am not better. I said I had been in contact with whooping cough, my granddaughter has it, but he said that wouldn't matter. I told him my throat was not a bit sore.

He handed Peter the prescription and I was out the door in ten seconds flat. He didn't take my blood pressure, he didn't check my pulse, which had been up for several days, he didn't listen to my chest for infection, nothing. I got to the door then realised I had been rushed through, and wondered what he was treating with these antibiotics? I was not impressed. I have trouble with reflux and often my throat looks a bit red, but I didn't get a chance to tell him that.

I had been to this doctor a few times previously and thought he was pretty hopeless, this confirmed it.

Anyway I started the antibiotics in case I was coming down with something terrible (I am going away in three weeks time so don't want to be sick) and I think the antibiotics have made me feel worse. My whole system has been affected, appetite, diahoreah etc. I have been a sorry sight.

Today I am feeling better. One of the problems of house sitting is that you are usually not in one place long enough to establish a good history with a GP. But I will be changing after this episode. There is another doctors rooms close by.

No comments:

Post a Comment