Sunday 25 November 2012

The engagement party that didn't happen.

About a year ago, our youngest son Simon met the girl of his dreams. After a while he brought her to meet the family, and we were all very impressed. She was a lovely girl, seemed to have a really good nature, was a nurse, hard working, very practical and down to earth, and her face was arranged very nicely too, she was very pretty.

The romance continued on and a few months later they seemed to be in love making plans to get engaged. Peter and I visited her parents, and it seemed she was from a good stable family too, something these days which I consider very important. She had a very good relationship with both her parents, and in my view these family interactions carry on into married and family life later on.

About four or five months ago, they got engaged, and planned an engagement party but not til the end of the year. The date was set for yesterday, 24th November. Plans were made, invitations sent out, and Rebecca's mother organised food and drinks for about 60 or 70 people. The party was being held at Rebecca's parents home. They have a nice large home with a big open deck area out the back and a swimming pool.

People started ariving at the specified time 2pm. Simon was there nicely dressed in trousers and new white shirt, that I unfortunately managed to smear with my makeup as I gave him a big hug. The other members of our family and her family rolled up, and friends of Simon and Rebecca were slowly gathering, enjoying some drinks and nibbles.

About 2.30 I asked my daughter where Rebecca was. She had not shown her face at all. I thought it was a bit odd, but maybe she was still getting herself beautified out the back. My daughter said she would be out soon. By 3pm, an hour after most people had arrived, Rebecca had still not shown up.

Then her mother and father came out and asked us all to come to the front of the house. They had something to tell us. Dutifully everyone followed and she called Peter and I out to the front. She started to talk, but got a bit emotional. Then she waved us to the side of the driveway, and my eldest son drove up in his lovely bright yellow car.

Ah! Here she was! In a white dress! And a bouquet! And with a bridesmaid!

They had decided about a month ago to turn the engagement party into their wedding, and apart from a very few close family members, no one knew, not even the parents of the groom.

To say we were gobsmacked would be an understatement, but gobsmacked in a really nice way. On the way to the party, I had said to Peter, that it was a shame they didn't get themselves organised and have this as their wedding instead of an engagement. Little did I know!

The father of the bride led his daughter down to the back of the house where a gazebo had been set up, (unsuspecting me....I saw it there and didn't wonder why), a marriage celebrant was all ready to go, Tim, Simon's older brother ( who was going to be best man at the 'one day in the future' wedding) was commandeered unsuspectingly, and we all followed to see an engagement party turn into a wedding.



Saying their vows.


And one of the best weddings it was. Peter and I were just thrilled. They are so happy together. We had all the family there except one daughter who was travelling home from an overseas trip, all Rebecca's family and all our close friends. It was a small ,personal wedding, not complicated, not involving months of work and thousands of dollars, but still with the solemnity and seriousness needed for such a step in life.


Her parents had done a terrifc job of catering for everyone, and I think it would be fair to say that evey single person there had a terrific day. I know we did, and we are delighted to have another member added to our somewhat expanding family.

So, when is an engagment party not an engagment party? When it's a wedding.


Peter and I and the very happy groom. Four down, one to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment