Thursday 27 December 2012

Hair and thair

A visit to the hairdresser was needed. I had my hair cut before I left home, but a little trim was needed, especially from the very top. I went to the hairdresser a couple of days ago for a trial run and went back today for the trim.
Hairdressers here are mostly young boys. I don’t know what happens to them when they get older, maybe they do something else, but the salons are full of young men, and generally they are really good at the job.
The other day I let loose a young man who was wearing a gold necklace on my hair. (I remembered that specifically so I could get the same guy again) He blow-dried and styled it, and it turned out ok. Today I got him to do the cut.  But before you do anything, you get your hair washed.
There are no neck wrenching chairs to sit in here. You lie down on a padded rubber bed, and rest your head on a central kind of pillar that is in the middle of the large basin. The washing takes about ten minutes, with a goodly amount of massaging involved. Very relaxing. Then it’s downstairs to the main salon.
The hairdresser spoke a little English so that was good. I explained I only wanted a little tiny bit taken off the top and to leave the rest alone. He understood and got started with his scissors. Every time I have had my hair done in China they have taken ages and ages over it. I know that my hair, being a foreigner, is very different from the strong straight black hair of the Chinese, and they love to play with it, so they will spend ages, snipping and snapping, then blowing drying and primping and pampering. It’s a very nice experience, and they mostly seem to have a gentle touch and no scalping is involved.
So after ten minutes of massage, and about thirty minutes of scissors and blow-drying I was ready. I have to say I am pleased with the result too.
I have no idea what the name of the hairdresser is or how old he is. One of the problems with Chinese is that they all look so young. It’s not until they get to be about 40 or 50 that they look over 20 years old.

On a different note........it was warmer today, haha, but now I know why. You know how, before a cold southerly blow there is often a northerly then a change? Ah yes, the change has come. Its raining and for the day of the wedding, this Sunday, the temperatures are forecast for a low of 6 and a high of 8.  Oh joy!
For the photos please follow this link.

No comments:

Post a Comment