Wednesday 26 December 2012

Planning in advance...not!

Planning a wedding is a stressful business. But when you are Chinese and everything is left to the last minute, then the stress levels are inclined to rise a little.
There are 16 days till it is Alex’s wedding day. He still does not know who will be his best man. The one he has chosen may not be free on the day, so if not he will have to choose someone else, apparently there are several people he can choose from.
The other day Zheng Pin chose her dress, well I think so. I’m still waiting to see if it is red or white. I think maybe she has chosen two, so maybe one white and one red. It is quite common for Chinese brides to change into different clothes 2 or 3 times during the two or three hours of the wedding breakfast.
It is interesting to be an outsider and watch the dynamics of a family. Although Alex’s family is basically he and his father, and his cousin and aunt up one level, there are some interesting moments. There was a slight eruption last night, as happens from time to time with these two. Apparently it is over who will sit where.  I don’t think anything is on paper, and everyone wants everything their own way. Goodness only knows what else has to be arranged, but I foresee some fireworks over the next two weeks. And it seems to take three times as many words to say what we would say. If I wanted to make a statement in English I would make it. But they seem to spend ages saying the same thing, and not always with a satisfactory outcome. It’s a funny old world.  As I write, the aunt from upstairs has walked in and a rapid altercation is taking place. I’m off for a shower and will leave them to it.
The Chinese people generally are noisy, loud, vocal, and stubborn. I have been having a little battle of my own with a window. Let’s face it, you need fresh air, even if it is the middle of winter, you need at least one window in the lounge room fully open. But I get so cold! So I go and close it. When I am not looking, Alex’s father goes and quietly opens it again.  He has this implacable face, inscrutable; there is no way of knowing what he is thinking. So when he is gone, I close it again. We have been having this little battle since I got here. I guess it will go on until I leave.
Ah the joys of advance planning…..


No comments:

Post a Comment