Friday 20 July 2012

Keep it moving.

One of the problems of house sitting is that there is often not so much to do to fill your days. For short stays, I don’t bother baking cakes, well I try not to eat much in that line anyway, and usually the houses are left spotless for us to go into, so maintaining them takes minimal work. Trying to eat healthy means meals are quite simple too, I make a lot of stir fry meals, and when cooking for two it doesn’t take long to get meals prepared, not like when I had all five children at home, including three boys who were bottomless pits. So housework doesn’t take much time either.

Generally there is not a lot to do in the gardens either, a bit of weeding maybe but I generally don’t prune anything or plant anything, so there’s not a lot of time used for gardening. Peter is the lawn mower, and I might potter round helping but he does most of it on a ride on mower in this house, so my exercise levels have reduced.

I decided I needed to get myself into gear and try to do something regular. It’s really nice walking around this area. All the homes are on what is called acreage, in other words large sections of about an acre or two, maybe more. So there are lots of trees, everything is well spaced out, and although there are a few dogs around, they are confined, so there are no dogs roaming on the streets. It also means there is not much traffic along this street or the surrounding area, which is a good thing as there are no concrete footpaths here.

So I started some daily walking, but somehow encouraged a heel spur. Have you ever had a heel spur? They are the most painful things. It also means that I need to wear shoes that support the arch in my foot all day, to get rid of the spur. Oh dear! My ideas don’t always go to plan.

This is the view from our corner, you can see what I mean, no footpaths, but hardly over populated.  A lovely area to walk around.
So I have reverted back to the excercycle that is here.  I have used it from time to time, but now it is getting a regular warm up. The knees creak a bit as I puff and pant my way through a few kilometres each day, but if I am going to get myself off the couch more I need to keep it going. I’ll keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment