Saturday 28 July 2012

Keeping it moving.

I wrote a post a week or so ago about using the exercycle. Well I am doing okay. I am doing 5 or 6 days a week, and trying to do over 40 kms a week, not a lot but it will increase.

However, I have found that with a bit of skill I can read while I am on the bike. While my legs are doing the up/down bit, my hands are free so they can hold a book. I am reading a book at the moment called 'No way to behave at a funeral' by Noel Braun. An odd title, but actually a very good book.It is the story of his coping with the suicide death of his wife of over 40 years. Probably every one of us has been touched by suicide in some way or another, and it seems to be a growing problem espcially with the increasingly stressful lives so many people live.

One of the most interesting points for me, was that he was trained in mental health and also a Lifeline counsellor, but he was not able to stop the suicide of his wife. I don't say this in a condemning way at all, but I thought it very pertinent, because most of us don't have any training in this field, and the guilt of 'why didn't I stop it?' is a constant cloud following those close to the deceased person. If trained people can't stop it, what hope have you and I got, especially when the depressed person is absolutely intent on ending their lives?

Noel Braun is very open about his feelings, and how he slowly worked his way through the whole grieving process. I have not got to the end yet, but it really is a good read. He not only had to deal with his wife's death, but his son got married one week later, and he had to try and work his way through the wedding too.

Men are usually so closed up about such topics, keeping the 'stiff upper lip' etc. Its refreshing to see into a man's thoughts and feelings in such a situation.

Actually in regard to stress, I have to say that as long as you have the personality for it, are okay with change, but open to a bit of excitment and minor challenges without blowing your stack, house sitting has become a stress free way of life for me. Our living costs are low. We don't pay rent, but depending on the length of the house sit, we sometimes offer to pay for power and/or internet connections. This means we have a bit of spare cash for sightseeing, going out for a meal here and there, going to the movies, things that you can't always do on the pension. We generally have really  nice homes to care for, sometimes pets to care for, and stay in some beautiful areas. For me, so far, its a pretty stress free way of living.

No comments:

Post a Comment