Friday 3 August 2012

Cherry blossom time.

Ah, long long ago, when the words of songs were understandable, this was a hit song. "I'll be with you in Cherry blossom time", crooned the singers. Well, somewhere, not long ago, and I think the cherries in the shops just now come from America, it was cherry blossom time and they must have had a good crop.

I have never seen so many cherries in the shops as there have been this year. Boxes and boxes of them, large, clean, firm, and not always so sweet cherries. But they are fabulous to eat, and at $8 to $10 a kilo I can afford to eat them. You get a lot for a kilo, so most afternoons for afternoon tea I sit down to a bowl of cherries.

I thought I'd check the internet for some info on cherries, I always thought they were one of the best fruits...well I guess all fruits are the best in their own way, but cherries seem to be high in anthocyanins, antioxidants, and help such diseases as heart disease, diabetes, cholestorl and help with inflammation.

 I don't expect they will last too much longer in the shops, but I will make the most of them while they are there. I know that the toilet will be pleased when cherry time is over, they have a very cleansing effect, if you get my drift.

No comments:

Post a Comment