Monday 21 January 2013

Around the traps.


I thought a little sortee was necessary to see what has been happening at our house sit while I have been away. The weather has been very very hot, with a prolonged heat wave affecting most of the country. This has meant little rain, although today we have had a couple of showers, but it’s hardly enough to wet the concrete, I don’t suppose it will soak very far into the soil.

 I’m pleased to see the mango trees doing so well. I put some pictures up in spring when the trees were in flower and then with tiny fruit on. Well, now we have some big mangos. The small tree has three large fruit. We have covered them over loosely with bags to try and prevent the bats from attacking them. Once the fruit ripens a bit the bats will be in and that will be the end of the fruit. The other large tree has quite a few fruit too, but mostly lower down.



 






The large mangos are really big, but still quite green.
 
 There is also a frangipani tree by the entrance way, and it is now in full leaf, and there are just a few flowers left. Peter said it was in full flower while I was away. These flowers always remind me of Hawaiin leis, and the perfume is so strong you can smell it a long way away.



The pool has really warmed up. I am a get-in-by-the-inch kind of swimmer, but I can get in quite quickly now that it is reaching bath water temperature. So with this heat, having the pool is a real bonus. Of course they take a lot of looking after, especially when they are in this sort of wooded area, with so many tall gum trees around, and in this dry weather they trees are dropping quite a few leaves….yes…into the pool.



Peter has also put up a small shade sail over the pool. He is usually in the pool twice a day, often when the sun is directly overhead. This little shade is really good, it gives enough shade to that we can swim but not be too exposed to the sunlight during the hottest hours.
 
The Melbourne tennis has been terrific, and I have been watching quite a bit of that too. There have been some really good matches.

There is some sort of problem with the website I use, blogspot. I cannot upload photos easily. I can do it by using html, but it is so slow. So I hope they get this up and running again. I see lots of complaints online about it being unworkable for several days now. As soon as I can I’ll load up the pictures for the other posts.

No comments:

Post a Comment