Friday 5 October 2012

Living out of a suitcase.

While we are house sitting, we don't have much of our own stuff around. I have a few things in the kitchen, coffee and tea containers etc, but otherwise, very little. Now with the changing season, its time to put away the winter clothes and get out the summer stuff.

Living in Queensland, it is always warm. I wear slippers in the winter, and fleecy track pants and sweat shirts at night, but often the winter days are warm enough for tee shirts and shorts, or normal lightweight clothes. But when the summer hits here, well it gets really hot.

This house sit is on the Gold Coast in Australia. I know many who read this are from other countries, so may not know much about Aussie,so here is a map.

If you look on the right hand coast, the East coast,  you will see Brisbane. Just 70 kms south is the Gold Coast. Map from lonelyplanet.com.
Just below Brisbane, about 70 kms south is the Gold Coast. If you look north, you will see Rockhampton.
The Tropic of Capricorn goes through this area, so it is pretty tropical weather from Brisbane north. The very top of Australia is not that far from the equator. If you go to google images and search for Gold Coast, you will see some terrific pictures. This is a beautiful place to live, and a major tourist destination.

Okay back to the subject. so when we are house sitting, how do we get on for clothes? I have stuff packed away in plastic storage boxes, and when the seasons change, its time to do the father christmas thing and unpack the clothes. This means I find things I had forgotten about.

The other day I unpacked and found a skirt which I love completely. I bought it in Suzhou, in China, a couple of years ago. I hope the colours will show up in this picture.


Okay it doesn't look too crash hot in this pic. I laid it on the floor. It is the most beautiful dark teal and light ming blue. It has gold thread patterns all through it. It's a wrap around skirt. There are embroidered flowers all over it and an embroidered pattern round the hem. I have a blue top the same as the lighter blue. I rarely wear anything quite so bold, but the colours and the pattern really took my fancy in the shop so I indulged.

I found other treasures too in my boxes of summer clothes. When I lived in China I had several visits to Hong Kong, and there is a place there called Stanley Markets. It is the best market I have ever found. Good quality clothes, excellent fabrics, and cheap prices. I bought a jacket there about five years ago I guess, it is some kind of Korean silk I think, it is uncrushable, lovely design, good fit, I wear it often, and it cost me 99HK$, about $15.00 US. It will last for years yet.

So, now I just need to put some of the stuff through the washing and get into my 'new' clothes.

No comments:

Post a Comment