Friday 4 October 2013

Name your car day...what do you call your car?



October 2nd is'name your car day'.  Who would have thought that there would be one day of the year set aside to talk about the name of your car, but it seems to be a very popular thing to do.
October 2nd of every year is the day to talk about this very important matter.  Do you have a name for your car?  It seems that many people do.  I don’t normally. We only had two cars that were given a name. One car was a daf. Peter bought this Daf for me to drive. He was want to come home with cars from time to time, he worked in the motor industry and sometimes was able to pick up the odd car for a reasonable price. 

He came home with this red Daf. Have you ever seen under the bonnet of a Daf? If so, then you will know why I called it The Stupid Red Daf, and refused to drive it.
The other car was a little car, and I can’t remember what kind of car it was, but it was quite a small car. It was bigger than a mini and smaller than a Morris Oxford. It was similar shape to a Morris Oxford though, just smaller. I called it ‘The cream bun’. It was little, round, and the colour of whipped cream.

For the useless information department, there is a website – follow the blue link here - devoted to this subject, and I have found one or two names that were worth mentioning.



Karmit: “I am a big fan of the Muppets. Our car is named Karmit and a friend played “Rainbow Connection” on his guitar for us during our wedding ceremony.” -Gary and Louise of Lone Star on a Lark.
Marty: “Marty Mazda. I named the car Marty because, well, it just wasn’t clear if he was a boy or a girl. (Even when you looked under the hood *wink* *wink*.)” -Lisa of Chick Lit is Not Dead
Merlot: “My new car is named MERLOT for her sparkling wine color.” -Dianne of Dianne Johnson
Lola: “Owning a Corolla, I guess the reason why I named my car Lola is for my tag line “Lola the Corolla.” I thought it was funny… As for the other things I guess I just named them just to give them a personality, a character.” -Shawn Tripputi of San Jacinto Times Staff Blog
Linus: “Linus is my car. I named Linus, because as I stated before I am terrified he will magically explode, and so when I am driving home (no joke) I talk to him. We chat about traffic, sometimes I am asking if he has a flat tire or if it’s just the road. It took a while for me to trust Linus, since my last vehicle Vern let his tire fly off on the freeway, Vern and I had a really shaky relationship after that. So much so, that I had to sell him.” -Miki of Becoming What I Always Was.

Who can forget Kitt from Nightrider?



There is also Herbie and Chitty chitty bang bang. 





 
From the website holidayinsights.com/moreholidays/October here are some useful hints for naming your car.

    Don't select wimpy names. That might give your car a personality complex and it will perform accordingly.
    Do give a strong, aggressive name to sports cars and cars with powerful engines.
    Sleek, sexy feline-like cars savor names that begin with "lady".
    Old junkers are proud just to be around. You can call them just about anything. Try "Tramp", or "Old Yeller", "Old Blue".
    Pick names to reflect your personality.
    "Pickemup" trucks must have country names.
    Don't give common names (like Joe, Mike or Sue)  to luxury cars. They beam over names like Reginald, Archibald, and Crystal.




Time to sign off and think of a name for our current car. It’s a boring Holden, thousands of them on the road, goes well, completely reliable, but dreadful to find an interesting name for.

No comments:

Post a Comment